1. The name of the Association shall be WESTERN DIVISION OF
THE CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF GEOGRAPHERS and bear the acronym WDCAG.
2. The objectives of the WDCAG shall be the promotion of
Geographical study, teaching, and research.
1. All members in good standing, of any class, in the
Canadian Association of Geographers (CAG), who reside in the Canadian provinces
of Alberta and British Columbia, the Yukon Territory, the Northwest
Territories, and in the American States of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and
Montana will be regular members in the WDCAG.
2. Persons other than members of the CAG who are in
attendance of a WDCAG Annual General Meeting (AGM) and support the goals and
objectives of the Division, may vote on-site at that AGM but need to identify
as ďIntended memberĒ on the attendance sheet. Intended members must obtain CAG membership
at the AGM or as soon as possible after, after which they will become regular
3. All members, regular and intended, are entitled to vote
on the business of the WDCAG during the AGM.
1. The Division shall meet in general session for the
purpose of conducting the business of the Division. Time, place, and conditions
of the meeting shall be determined by the Executive. Notice of such Annual
General Meeting (AGM) shall be announced to members of record at least two
weeks prior to the meeting. Announcements will be distributed electronically to
the member's email address as shown on the records of the Division or those of
2. Such notice shall set out in general terms, the business
to be conducted at the meeting.
3. At each AGM an attendance sheet shall be distributed, and
once all in attendance have listed their names, email addresses, and membership
status (regular/intended) this list is to be filed with the minutes of that
meeting. One member-at-large will be in charge of distributing, collecting and
transcribing this attendance sheet.
4. Prior to the AGM, usually on the same day, the Divisionís
Annual Executive Meeting shall take place, which main aim it is to prepare the
matters of business for the AGM.
5.The Division may meet as part of an activity program, at
such time and at such location as may from time to time be determined by the
Executive. Participation in this activity program is not restricted to members
of the Division.
6. Traditionally, such activity program has been the WDCAGís
Annual Meeting, a student-focused Conference which has been held, in rotation,
at membersí host institution campuses.
1. The executive shall consist of the following elected
b) Vice-President (see Section 4)
c) Past-President (see Section 4)
e) Four members-at-large (MAL)
f) A minimum of two and a maximum of four student members,
of which at least one from British Columbia, the Yukon, Washington or Oregon and
at least one from Alberta, the Northwest Territories, Idaho or Montana
and the following non-elected
g) The Western Geography Journal Editors (see Section† VII) - ex
h) Newsletter Editor - ex officio
i) Appointed British Columbia Education Committee
2. Members of the Executive must be in good standing of the
3. The Executive shall be elected at the AGM.
4. The Executive of the WDCAG shall consist of a president,
serving a two year non-renewal term of office; a past-president or a
vice-president, each term consisting of one year; a secretary-treasurer elected
for a period of two years; four members-at-large each elected for a period of
two years; and between 2-4 student members each elected for one year. Appointed
positions shall consist of the newsletter editor and journal editors - all ex
officio, each for a term of two years; and a British Columbia Education
Committee Chair for a term of two years. Elections for the vice-president shall
be bi-annually and the vice-president will, under normal circumstances, take
the position of president in the year following the election and will succeed
to past-president in the year immediately following the two year presidential
term of office. There will not be a past-president in the year in which there
is a vice-president and there will not be a vice-president in the year in which
there is a past-president. The members-at-large shall be elected on the basis
of two vacancies per year. One of those vacancies may be filled by the Chair of
the conference organizing committee for the following yearís Annual Meeting
& Conference, if that person is or becomes a member in good standing of the
5. The President shall chair the Divisionís Annual Executive
Meeting and AGM, and shall assume such duties as may from time to time be
assigned by a meeting of the Executive or by the AGM.
6. The President shall fulfill the role of Regional
Councillor on the Executive Committee of the CAG, and liaise between the WDCAG
and the Canadian Association of Geographers (CAG).
7. The Vice-President will normally succeed the President in
8. The Past-President shall Chair the Nominating Committee.
9. The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep or cause to be kept,
Minutes of meetings of the Executive and the AGM as well as keeping, or causing
to be kept, proper records of the Division. The Secretary-Treasurer shall
ensure copies of all documents are forwarded to the webmaster and posted on the
Divisionís website in a timely manner and shall be responsible for the
financial affairs and operation of the Division.
10. The Secretary-Treasurer and any other member of the
Executive as specified by the Executive shall be the signing officers of the
11. The Secretary-Treasurer shall prepare a budget to be presented
to the AGM. This budget, after general approval by the members, is to be
referred to the incoming Executive as a guideline.
12. The Journal Editors, Newsletter Editor, and Webmaster
shall be ratified annually at the AGM. It is anticipated that these positions
will be of at least two years duration.
13. The British Columbia Education Committee (BCEC)
Chairperson will be appointed by the Executive. This position will be filled
from within the Executive or from within the WDCAG membership at large. It is
anticipated that this position will be of at least two years duration. On
appointment the BCEC Chairperson automatically becomes a full voting member of
14. The Executive may co-opt a member of the WDCAG to fill
any vacant position on the Executive. The co-opted member will become a full
voting member of the Executive.
15. The Executive may pay such members or other persons for
any services performed to the Division or on behalf of the Division upon
special resolution of the Executive, such resolution to be first obtained.
16. The following non-elected positions will generally be
filled by WDCAG members in good standing, but these positions will not be
members of the executive.
b) Awards officer
IV. VOTING AND ELECTIONS
1. Voting on matters of the business of the Division during
an AGM shall be restricted to members in good standing as well as intended
members in attendance of the AGM.
2. Voting outside the AGM is restricted to members in good
standing only, and may be in the form of a referendum or electronic vote, which
shall be administered by a member of the executive.
3. A quorum of a business meeting shall be those members in
good standing in attendance at the meeting.
4. At any meeting of the Division each member shall be
entitled to one vote. Proxy votes will not be permitted.
5. All items voted on require a majority of fifty percent
6. The President shall receive nominations from the floor at
the AGM for new members of the Executive, and the incoming officers shall be
elected by a majority vote of members attending the AGM.
7. In case of a tie, the Chair shall have a casting vote at
the AGM and when voting occurs electronically outside the AGM.
V. COMMITTEES OF THE DIVISION
A. NOMINATING COMMITTEE
There shall be a Nominating Committee comprised of the
available three immediate past presidents and which shall ensure that the AGM
will be presented with a list of candidates suitable to stand for office and
representing the professional and regional interest groups within the Division.
It is desirable to ensure some continuity between outgoing and incoming
Guidelines for the Nominating Committee
-- The President is responsible for ensuring that the
Nominating Committee convenes.
-- The immediate Past President will chair the Nominating
-- The Chairperson of the Nominating Committee will report
to the President prior to the AGM.
-- Verbal agreement to stand must have been obtained from
those members whose names are on the list.
-- All persons whose names are on the list must be, or
become, members in good standing of the CAG.
B. BRITISH COLUMBIA EDUCATION COMMITTEE
There shall be a British Columbia Education Committee (BCEC)
comprised of no fewer than one and no more than eight
members. The Chairperson of the BCEC shall, upon appointment, become a full
voting member of the Executive.
The objectives of the BCEC shall be to promote geographic
education within the province of British Columbia, to promote and maintain
liaison and communication with elementary, secondary and post
secondary institutions, the respective Ministries, the professional
associations and other appropriate educational support groups and to establish
and maintain a network with other similar organizations outside British
VI. CONSTITUTION CHANGES
1. Proposed changes to the Division's constitution must be
submitted in writing to the Secretary-Treasurer at least forty days prior to
2. Such changes are to be submitted to the membership, in
writing, at the time of the notification of the AGM.
3. The AGM may change the constitution by a resolution
obtaining a simple majority vote of those present at the meeting.
1. The Divisionís Archivist shall keep a record of each
annual meeting and conference by obtaining and archiving the program and
abstracts issued by the host institution on the WDCAG website. These materials
will be made available to the membership via the Divisionís website.
2. The journal Western Geography shall, under normal circumstances,
be published annually and distributed online through the Divisionís website.
The journal shall have at least two editors, who together should broadly
represent the physical and human geography subdisciplines.
3. It shall be the responsibility of the Executive to
develop a journal publications policy which, when affirmed by majority vote of
the AGM, shall be the policy of the Division. This policy shall be made
available via the Divisionís website.
4. A Newsletter for the WDCAG will be distributed to members
online through the Divisionís website. There will normally be one Newsletter
5. The Division will maintain a website.