Western Geography is the official journal of the Western Division of the
Canadian Association of Geographers. The objective of the journal is to publish
original scholarly work on geographical themes or topics that emphasize western Canada
and adjacent areas, or that are written by geographers from this region. The editor
and editorial board invite manuscripts of a methodological, empirical,
theoretical, or philosophical nature that fall within this objective. Instructions for authors submitting manuscripts
Manuscripts and enquiries regarding subscriptions should be sent to:
For physical geography and GIS submissions:
Craig Coburn, PhD
Department of Geography
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Dr. W
Lethbridge, Alberta T1K 3M4
phone: (403) 317-2818
fax: (403) 332-4039
For human geography submissions:
Damian Collins, PhD
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Earth Sciences Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E3
phone: (780) 492-3197
fax: (780) 492-2030
Volume 20 & 21, 2014/15
- Re-Locating the orchards of Victoria, BC: Re-connecting with the land. Brendle-Moczuk, D., 4-9.
- Feminicidio: Placing Gendered Violence in Guatemala. Nolin, C. and Fraser, C., 10-38.
- The Impact of a Local Bypass in the Tokyo Urban Fringe on One Small Hamlet in Ushiku City, Japan. Waldichuk, T., 39-45.
- Scanning for Sustainable Community Development in the Bolivian Highlands. Hernandez, G.; Ardis, L. and Mollinedo, A., 46-62.
- Place-based Curriculum: Revealing Student Connections with Community through Walking Tours. Reid, R.; Naqvib, K. and Waldichuk, T. , 63-69.
- Temperature, Precipitation, and Snowfall Trends on the Coast of Vancouver Island. Edwards, R., 70-86.
- Investigating Donor Patterns. Younger, A., 87-101.
- The role of hydrologic fluxes in the monthly water balance and water chemistry of a small coastal headwater lake. Martin, J.E., 102-126.
- Copenhagenize Vancouver? Perspectives on bicycling after a semester abroad. Picard, A., 127-132.
- Shorebirds, Wolves, Dogs and Beaches: Human-Wildlife Conflict in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. Bowes, M.; Keller, P.; Gifford, R. and Rollins, R., 133-134.
- Troubling the Conventional: Notes from a Café-Style Session on Feminist Geographies at WDCAG 2014. Hawkins, B., 135-138.
- The Commodification of Rural Space for Recreation and Tourism in Central Japan. Tabayashia, A. and Oishi, T., 139-141.
- A Tale of Three Universities: Sustainability, from theory to practice. Alexander, D. and Jack, P., 142-143.
Volume 17/18/19, 2007/08/09
- Socio-economic Restructuring and Health: A Qualitative Study of British Columbia Coastal Communities. Dai, S.; and Taylor, S.M., 5-38.
- Alberta’s Manufacturers: Workforce Challenges and Strategies. Kalafsky, R.V.; and Rice, M.D., 39-60.
- The Effects of Gentrification on Artists in Two Vancouver Neighbourhoods. Macdonald, A.; and Chai, S., 61-77.
- A Guide to Locating Wilderness Area Literature. Kawula, J.D., 78-96.
Volume 15/16, 2005/06
- Your Call is Important to Us: Call Centres in Lethbridge, Alberta. Croil, S.; and MacLachlan, I., 1-27.
- The Early Development of Terminal Grain Elevators on Canada’s Pacific Coast. Everitt, J.; and Gill, W. , 28-52.
- Industrial Hog Production and the Hog-barn Neighbourhood Effect in Lethbridge County, Alberta. Johnston, T.; and Weibel, A.,53-67 .
- A Preliminary Review of British Columbia’s Community Forest Pilot Project. McIlveen, K.; and Bradshaw, B., 68-84.
- Human-Coyote Conflict: Research and Management within a Hazards Framework. Wilkerson, O.L., 85-107.
- The Geographies of Maori-Mormonism and the Creation of a Cross-Cutural Hybrid. Summerskill, M., 108-122.
Volume 13/14, 2003/04
- The August 1999 Debris Flow at Five Mile Creek, Banff, Alberta, de Scally, F.; Mattson, L.E.; and Rowbotham, D.N., 1-18.
- Poetic Place: Knowing a Small British Columbia Community Through the Production of Creative Geographic Knowledge, de Leeuw, S.N, 19-38.
- The Changing Geography of Small Urban Places, McVey, J.A., 39-43.
- Stockyard Districts as Industrial Clusters in Two Western Canadian Cities, MacLachlan, I.; and Townshend, I., 44-68.
- Post-Industrial Adjustments in a Staples Economy: Urban and Economic Change in Kamloops, 1961-2002, MacKinnon, R.; and Nelson, R., 69-108.
- [Re-] Designing Rural Residential Areas with Public Transit in Mind: Developing Indicators for Sustainable Transportation, Patrick, R.J., 109-131.
- From Kitimat to Tumbler Ridge: A Crucial Lesson Not Learned in Resource-Town Planning, Halseth, G.; and Sullivan, L., 132-160.
- The Nature of E-Commerce, Klarich, A., 161-181.
Volume 12, 2002
- Mining in Northern British Columbia, Baker, D.C., 1-20.
- Carrier Sekani Self-Government in Context: Land and Resources, Brown, D., 21-67.
- Dutch and American Immigrant Agricultural Settlement in Central British Columbia: 1938-1990, Francis, B., 68-112.
- Respecting Context in Northern Resource Town Planning: The Case of Tumbler Ridge, Gill, A.M., 113-129.
- A Regional Geography of Recreation and Tourism in New Caledonia, Halseth, G., 130-162.
- "A Closed Book": The Canadian Pacific Railway Survey and North-Central British Columbia, Leonard, F., 163-184.
- Forestry and the Forest Industry in the Central Interior of British Columbia, Lewis, K.J., 185-215.
- Energy Resources in BC's Central Interior, Ostergaard, P., 216-229.
- The Climate of the Central and Northern Interior of BC, Raphael, C., 230-289.
- Crossing the Divide: Northern Approaches to New Caledonia, Sedgwick, J.K., 290-318.
- Then and Now: Human-Wildlife Interactions in Simon Fraser's New Caledonia, Wilkerson, O., 319-368.
Volume 10/11, 2000/01
- Multiculturalism and Local Government in Vancouver, Edgington, D.W. and Hutton, T.A., 1-29.
- Glaciological and Historical Analyses at the Boundary Glacier, Canadian Rocky Mountains. Jones, N.K. and Rowbotham, D. , 30-42. [Abstract]
- Treeline Dynamics on Southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Laroque, C.P., Lewis, D.H. and Smith, D.J., 43-63.
- Organized Complexity, Information, and State-of-Sustainability Reporting: A Case Study of the Tl'azt'en Nation, Wilkerson, O.L. and Baruah, B. , 64-88.
- Environmental Design and Fear: The Prospect-Refuge Model and the University College of the Cariboo Campus, Petherick, N., 89-112.
Volume 8/9, 1998/99
Volume 7, 1997, Special Edition: Focus on Alberta
- Domestic Immigrants: The Calgary Women's Colonization Board 1927-1930, Dijks, I.J., 1-19.
- Land Use in Alberta's Foothill Country, Kariel, H.G., 20-46.
- Views About Industrial Tourism Pressures in Canmore, Alberta, McNicol, B.J., 47-72.
- Those Magnificent Men and Their Flying Machines: Aerial Reconnaissance in the
Alberta Rocky Mountains During the 1920s, Smith, D.J., 73-96.
Volume 5/6, 1995/96
- Proglacial Sedimentation in the Loss Creek Valley, Southwestern
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Denton, J.J.; Laroque, C.P.; Williams, A.E. and Wilson, P.J., 1-12.
- Overcoming Time and Distance: Teaching Geography by Interactive Video, Horne, W.R., 13-23.
- Novel Landscapes: Geographies of a Future North America, Kadonaga, L., 24-34.
- Small Scale Behaviour of Large Scale Subjects: Diving Behaviour
of a Gray Whale (Eschritius robustus), Malcom, C.D.; Duffus, D.A.; and Wischniowski, S.G., 35-44.
- Management of the Intertidal Clam Resource: A British Columbia Experiment
in Limited Entry and Local Participation, Mitchell, D.A., 45-73.
- A Case Study for National Standards in Caandian School-Geography, Thomas, P.F., 74-98.
Volume 4, 1994
- Geography and the Modernization of Asia-Pacific, Edgington, D., 1-4.
- State-led Dependent Development in the East Asian NIEs: A Case Study of Taiwan,
Lin, G.C., 5-28.
- Environmental Sustaniability in the Extended Bangkok Metropolitan Region (EBMR), Greenberg, C.,, 29-44.
- China's Core Economic Regions and Their Hinterlands,
Wang, M.Y., 45-61.
- Challenges for metrofitting the Lower Yangtze Delta,
Marton, A.M., 62-83.
- Foodways: Culture and Geography,
Wagner, P.L., 84-93.
- Historical Glacier Activity in the Vicinty of Peter
Lougheed Provincial Park, Canadian Rocky Mountains,
McCarthy, D.P. and Smith, D.J., 94-109.
- Dendroclimatological Investigations in the Mount Rae
Area, Canadian Rocky Mountains, Wig, J.A. and Smith, D.J., 110-126.
Volume 3, 1993
- The Migration of Filipina Caregivers to Canada: A Case Study for Contemporary
Mikita, J., 1-14.
- Networks of Power: Cartography as Ideology, Brealey, K.G., 15-30.
- Social Change and Crime in Hong Kong: A Spatial Analysis, Lee, D., 51-70.
- Temperature Trends at Prince George, British Columbia (1943-1991), Raphael, C., 71-84.
- Work in Progress on the Dasein of the Shakespearean Landscape,
Chamberlain, P.G., 85-108.
Volume 2, 1992
Geography's Paradox at the Beginning of the 1960s: An Opinion,
McVey, J.A., 1-18.
- Transportation and Urban Form: A Comparison of Seattle and Vancouver,
Murray, P., 19-32.
- A Comparative Study of Canadian Condominium Owners and Renters,
Meligrana, J., 33-46.
- The University of Northern British Columbia: Its Economic Importance,
Reid, M.; Enemark, L. and Rowbotham, L., 47-66.
- What Geography Is There In Local History?,
, Dijks, I.J. and Jankunis, F.J., 67-79.
Volume 1(1), 1990
Boundary Lines in the Prairie Geographical Imagination,
Warkentin, J., 1-6.
- Economic Imperatives: The Historical Development of
Land Reclamation in Japan
Cavezza, M., 7-23.
- Legume Production and Efficiency in the Southern
Peace River Region,
Skretowicz, A.L.; Bailey, W.G.; and Mills, P.F., 24-33.
- Debris Torrent Hazard in Eastern Fraser and Coquihalla Valleys,
Slaymaker, O., 34-48.
- Application of the Priestley-Taylor Evaporation Model
and its Variants in Canada,
Valentine, D.A. and Bailey, W.G. , 67-79.